Life with Braces
When you get your braces on, appliances may feel cumbersome, you may feel general soreness in your mouth, and your teeth may be tender(painful) to biting pressures for a few days. During this time, a diet of softer foods can greatly diminish tooth soreness during chewing. Before long, you'll be able to go back to your normal diet with a few exceptions.
If the tenderness is severe, take painkillers used to treat common body aches or headaches.
The lips, cheeks and tongue may also be irritated for one to two weeks as they toughen and become accustomed to the surface of the braces. You can put wax on the braces to lessen this. We'll show you how!.
Additionally, try rinsing your mouth with a warm saltwater solution. Dissolve one teaspoonful of salt in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth vigorously.
Eating with Braces
- Do not eat anything for an hour after the fitting of the Orthodontic Appliance.
- After an hour, have something soft and cold for the day.
- Next day onwards, have your routine diet like chapatti/roti, bread, vegetables, dal, rice, juices, milkshakes etc.
- AVOID STICKY & HARD food throughout the treatment as it may damage the Orthodontic Appliance and may unnecessarily complicate and prolong the treatment. Hence, avoid chikki, chocolates, chewing gum, popcorn, toast, hard rolls, nuts, candy, coconut, hard laddus, chips, ice, whole fruits, carrot, pizza, and hard non-vegetarian food.
- Do not bite with your front teeth, like when eating an apple. Note that most foods can be enjoyed if cut into small pieces and placed into the mouth by the back teeth.
For healthy teeth and gums, it's more important than ever to brush regularly when you have braces. Patients who do not keep their teeth clean may require more frequent visits to the best dentist in Pune for a professional cleaning.
- Do not brush on the day when Orthodontic Appliance is fixed.
- After that you have to brush at least three times a day with a regular soft toothbrush and toothpaste using circular and up-down movements. In addition to regular toothbrush, use an interdental brush twice a day for proper cleaning, such as Oral-B/Colgate interdental brush/ Proxa brush etc.
- Every time after you eat anything, rinse vigorously with water, and whenever possible, run the toothbrush all over so that no food particles stick around the brackets and the wires.
- If proper oral hygiene is not maintained, it may result in decaying of teeth around brackets, and several gum problems like swollen & bleeding gums, recession of gum margins, etc. resulting in unwanted tooth mobility.
- Do not touch the appliance with your fingers, pen, pencil or any object. Also do not chew on hard things like pens, pencils or fingernails.
- Do not press any tooth even if it is little painful, it may lead to unnecessary mobility and loosening of the tooth.
- Unfortunately, if part of the braces or wire comes out, preserve it and contact the clinic for an emergency appointment.
- If there is irritation to the lips or mouth, place wax or wet cotton on the wire to reduce the annoyance.
- There may be some ulceration on the inner part of your lips and cheeks because of the wires and brackets. Apply some analgesic and antiseptic gel 3 times a day, like Dentogel/Dologel CT/ Stomela Gel/Mucopain/Hexigel etc.
- There also will be some pain and discomfort in the teeth because of the pressure on them. You can take any painkillers you are used to. Take the medicine only if pain is intolerable.
- In case of any emergency/query, please feel free to contact our clinic at anytime.
To successfully complete the treatment plan, the patient must work together with the best Orthodontist in Pune. The teeth and jaws can only move toward their correct positions if the patient consistently wears rubber bands and other appliances as prescribed. Broken or damaged appliances and missed appointments can lengthen the treatment time. Poor oral hygiene can also complicate treatment, causing delays and compromised results.